Thursday, March 16, 2006

Scene from the Street: Parents and Son

When I went to Chicago last week, I rode the usual bus, but I unusually sat on the front, just next to the bus door. The bus stopped at Champaign station to take more passengers.

There was one scene, less than one minutes in lenght. There was a young man who will ride the bus, maybe around my age (or younger), with short beard, a stone-washed jeans, a worn army-like long sleeves shirt, a shoulder long hair, rebel-but good-looking, a medium-sized backpack, and a hiking shoes. Then, there were two elder that accompanied him, whom I presumed that they are the young man parents. His parents were about my parents age, with casual clothes, and a tired, but proud, look that makes you feel that they've been through a lot in their lifetime. The young man said goodbye, his father said a short something to him, the young man nodded his head, his mother hugged him, and whispher something to him, he smiled, and his parents let go of the young man two meter from the door. The young man climbed up the bus, he stopped at the stair, and gave one last look to his parents with don't worry and wish me luck look, his parents gave an assurance look, the young man smile, and then he walked with confidence without looking back to the back of the bus.

I was simply touched.

*I will call them soon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jangan2 anaknya bilang gini..

"pa'e.. bu ne.. saya pergi dulu ketemu temen2 di menteng"

bapak : "ya.. jangan lupa saya nitip martabak istimewa. inget lho ya.. istimewa bukan spesial"

ibu : "ibu juga ya ngger.. nasi goreng rasa kayu.."

anak : "jangan kuatir pa'e.. bu ne.. pasti dibeliin"

hehehe...
anyhoo, nice posting man!
remind me of the lonely parents I have back home.

Anonymous said...

skype MURAH!!!!!!