Friday, February 17, 2006

A Glimpse in Time
A Prelude for My Confidants in Champaign

I came to UIUC in January 2005, and arrived in the Willard Airport Champaign. Was I happy? Nope, I had to leave my wife again (damn), to study again (gosh), in a new country again (aarrghh). Although new things always excite me, but to stay in a new place for a relatively long time is an unpleasant experience for me. Okey enough bitching, first time I arrived in UIUC, I was picked up by two of my junior in FEUI; Ange and Yudi. Well, of course, that was expected, to greet fellow almamaters. I knew Yudi, because we are from the same high school, and I guided him, when he entered FEUI (hehehhe). Ange was more a mistery for me, I only knew a little bit of something. I managed to see her history in FEUI, department of management and cum laude, wow, hehheheh. I knew she was from a high school that is familiar to me. Well, that was about all (the fact that I didn't know more about her is still a mistery for me). Anyway it was good to see people who you knew, or at least you feel you knew, in a new place. I have to tell you, I thought two of them were coupled, well, they look good together, hehehe.



*What do you think? They look good together huh?

At the first week, Yudi helped me a lot for settling me down in UIUC (he is a well-known helper in UIUC). He also introduced me to some people. Ange joined us once a while. Everything was going normal, in a formal way. They introduced me to Wal-Mart, to new restaurants. Of course, after a while I needed alcohol, the first alcohol that I drank in UIUC I bought it from Wal-Mart (It was like buying alcohol from the Gelael Indonesia in the old days, hehehe). Then, we drank together in Yudi's dorm. This was one of the most memorable first day in UIUC, drinking Southern Comfort with 'new' friends. I tried to drag them to one of the bar, but maybe I was moving too fast.


*So Chinese...

In the months to come, they were 'busy', or at least that was I thought. I was the only one who were not busy, hahahah. I have to admit, that I expected more from my friends. They promised to me to go "together" to Chicago (I'm a big city person, for whatever that means). They promised to me to go "together" outside Champaign-Urbana. They promised me to hang out "together" in some bars or clubs. Well, I think that was all I ever wanted. It turned out, Walmart, Cinema, MarketPlace Mall, Borders, and some other places in UIUC were the farthest place we had ever been gone "together". I remembered the first place that we hang out together and drank was Boltini's Lounge, and that's about it for our first semester. Of course, we always went for decent dinner, supper or late supper (Thank you 'Nge, thank you 'Di), but that was not I had in mind. Well, maybe I was expecting too much. Keep in mind, we were still growing closer to each other (in a slow pace), it was just my expectation that keep telling me to do more. In the mean time, I was enduring painstaking experiences to know the places to drink without them. Wait, one more thing, Ange and I went to Legend bar (So, there were one bar and one lounge), before she went back home "through Chicago" (hhmm, okey, stop it Paksi). To conclude, I was dissapointed. But, I have to confess, the small talk that we always did when we were cruising in UIUC, the silent that we shared together, the laughter that always filled "our" atmoshphere, the "wisdom" from each one of us, and other seemingly unimportant moments, are the things that had kept my (in)sanity in UIUC.

Summer break, we went to our separate way, I and Ange went back to Jakarta, and Yudi stayed. Then, when I returned, I moved in together with Yudis, and we had one more roomate who was crashing in for some time, He is Ardi.


*Three Muskeeter and D'artagnan (Ardi)

How about our second semester together? Well, it was more or less the same. We went to Soma, hhmmm, yap that was it. But wait, finally, because of Yudi's aunt was coming to Chicago, because of I and Yudi had to meet her (she was my mom's best friend, and She was bringing something from Beby for me), because of Lala was in Chicago, because we wanted to see IKEA (well, I wanted to go to IKEA), because Hanna was in Chicago (or near Chicago) and I simply had to meet her, and because tons of other things, finally (I repeated this word), we went to Chicago together. It was a quick trip, for me one restaurant and one lounge were short. But, I cherished this journey, because I met Airin (I previously told a story about her). Another time, well, it was basically the same with the first semester. But at that time I learnt something, if your friend need tons of reason to go somewhere, then you just have to go alone. Alone it was, I went to Chicago, back and forth in my second semester, I was very lucky because I have good friends in Chicago (cool huh). The fact that I always asked Ange and Yudi to go, and I ended up alone, just confused me. Maybe, they were 'busy', or at least that was I thought ( Hey, I repeated this sentence). But still, we're still growing closer together in a faster pace, the intensity was growing, and I still kept my (in)sanity.

Winter break was really a surprise treat for me. Ange went to California. I wasn't planning to go anywhere, but Punch-Drunk Love things happened to Yudi. To cut a long story short, we went to Atlanta for a winter break. And you know what, Ange said that she can stop in Atlanta, and join us (totally cool huh). Later, she said that she can't join in Atlanta, I remembered Yudi told me that news. At that time, I was just too lazy to talk her into join us in Atlanta, because, well, I don't know, maybe I was just dissapointed (apparently someone else was better talker than me, hehehhe). And I think to myself at that time, hey, maybe this "togetherness" is as good as it gets. But Atlanta, and Florida, really gave a me a high time, good old friends and new places. Although once a while we're just wishing that she can join us.


*Hmmmm, Lia and Ardi, Ajeng and Yudis, Who is the hell the scary man with pink shirt and denim look? Stay away dude, hahahah...

After the new year, the last two months (January and February), I was overflowed. Suddenly, we went to many places together, bar, lounge, other cities and so on. I really didn't expect this. I was surprised, Ange's wanted to accompany me to take 'Za to Chicago, because 'Za will returned to Raleigh from Chicago. Then, Yudi, Ange and I went to Chicago for my birthday, and again for Airin's birthday. We went to many hang-out places, more places in two months, than in one year (last year). Now, our conversations are becoming more and more intimate, hahahaha. What was happening to us? Did I miss something? Maybe, it was the spirit of the new year. Maybe, we're still in holiday mood. Maybe, we have more interesting friends to go with. Maybe, it was an accumulation of past desire to go together. Or maybe, just maybe, we are just simply good friends. Well, Whatever... At this time, I just seized those days, and enjoying our times together, before we leave this place, the place that brought us together. The fact that I write this in English, mostly influenced by their high tone conversations, whenever they debate on some things.


*Now, it's better, we get rid the scary man. Am I to obvious?

I always think that I'm imagining this thing. Both of my friends have a lot of friends all over the world. They (and I) have their closest friends. Why do they need crazy old school's to become their friend? I'm just a glimpse in their wide horizon, after all we're just met for a little more than one years. Yeah, maybe I'm imagining this thing, but it feels real, and, for better or worse, it feels good. And after a long way of exposed to companionship, that is enough for me. Like Ange said, we will always have us and Champaign in the back of our head. It has been a privilege and an honor to have both of you as my companion in UIUC.

"They said misery loves company
We could start a company and make misery"
*Misery by Soul Asylum


P.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

huehehehe.... maybe the fact that yudi has graduated and that i only have 1 class a week to attend to (and 3 neverending projects on my back & 2 classes to teach-but that's nothin huh?) can help to explain why we finally have time to be 'together' but hey, who's thinking about that? i guess, it's out with the old, in with the new.

i'm flattered to be ur friend to. such a bugger (so Hugh Grant-ish), we wont be together for so long anymore.

Anonymous said...

ambil phd aja jeng biar lamaan maen ama paksi... :))
ps: kalo gue gak ke chicago winter 2004 juga gak bakal kenal ajeng... everything happen for a reason, huh?

renata

Anonymous said...

Untuk foto terakhir ...
ternyata Paksi memang cuma diperlukan sebagai alibi, obat nyamuk, tukang foto ....
Huahahahahaha ....

'za said...

mungkin karena ketemu gue tuh mereka jd ga sok sibuk lagi ...takut di kehidupan mereka selanjutnya, mereka harus tinggal di Raleigh sendiri ..hihihi...(kayak the ghost of christmas ajah gue..hihii)