Monday, November 06, 2006

Letter of Statement for Applying Job
by James Muray in 1867 for a position with the British Museum.
(Taken from "The Professor and The Madman")

I have to state that Philology, both Comparative and special, has been my favourite pursuit during the whole of my life, and that I possess a general acquintance with the languages & literature of the Aryan and Syro-Arabic classes--not indeed to say that I am familiar with all or nearly all of these, but that I posses that general lexical and structural knowledge which makes the intimate knowledge only a mater of a little application. With several I have more intimate acquintance as with the Romance tongues, Italian, French, Catalan, Spanish, Latin & in a less degree Portuguese, Vaudois, Provencal and various dialects. In the Teutonic branch, I am tolerably familiar with Dutch (having at my place of business correspondence to read in Dutch, German, French & occasionally other languages), Flemish, Germand, Danish. In Anglo-Saxon and Moeso-Gothic my studies have been much closer, I having prepared some works for publication upon these languages. I know a little of the Celtic, and am at present engage with sclavonic, having obtained useful knowledge of the Russian. In the Persian, Achaemenian Cuneiform, & Sanscrit branches, I know for the purpose of Comparative Philology. I have sufficient knowledge of Hebrew and Syriac to read at the sight of Old Testament and Peshito, to a less degreee I know Aramaic Arabic, Coptic and Phoenician to the point where it was left by Genesius.

NB: He wrote it in his thirtieth birthday, and he was turned down by the British Museum. Nevertheless, it was one of the best letter of statement. Later, he was the first editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, which is generally regarded as the most comprehensive and scholarly dictionary of the English language (taken from wikipedia).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

paks, gue bisa bahasa jawa surabayaan, jawa tengah, sedikit krama alus, bahasa bencong, prokem lumayan, bahasa perancis jatah nggak nyasar menuju eiffel tower, bahasa indonesia sama bahasa inggris.

gue juga bisa bahasa bayi, cuma males ngaku, norak soale :)

boleh gak ya, ngelamar jadi editor-e kamus e debbie sahertian?

:)
p

Anonymous said...

boleh la p. tp kalo ngeliat analogi tulisan paksi di atas, lo mungkin bakalan ditolak...tapi pada akhirnya lo akan jadi editor kamus bahasa....BAYI! [ehm..gmana yah, tp...iihh norak banget si lo p bahasa bayi? yikes!...hahahaha]

Anonymous said...

itu dia gua bilang za, gue bisa tapi males ngaku. jarang dipake juga, karena..yikes!!

hahaha

p

Anonymous said...

Tapi teteup paksi pakar bahasa cinta..