Thursday, June 01, 2006

My Two Troubling News from Indonesia

First News:

The first news is about earthquake in Yogyakarta and Central Java, my mother born in Yogyakarta, and the latest news from my wife, our extended family are fine. Thank God. It was big and destructive earthquake, the death toll is more than five thousands, and the injured people is more enormous, around 15.000 people. I hope Yogyakarta will regain its vitality.
God bless all the victims, and all the helper that will rebuild Yogyakarta and Central Java.

Second News:

This news happened before the Yogyakarta's earthquake, and I knew because I've read Dewa's Blog. It is about the demonstration and riot in Makassar, which became a racist demonstration. Well, it is not new in Indonesia, that kind of riots, but the more troubling news is the leaders of the racist demonstration are student. What the fuck... Maybe the stupid student just forget about the May tragedy 1998, or they don't read about that history. Well maybe they were still young to remember about the history (At that time (at least May 1998), they were still in junior high school, high school, or maybe elementary school). But still, it is one of the stupidest thing that I've ever heard about student movement, and believe me, students do a lot of stupid things throughout the history. I will give this link of the article from Ariel Heryanto and exact paste from the article like in the Dewa's Blog (hehehe, I love copy paste, I have to read news more often like Dewa). The quote is a good reminder for students all over Indonesia, so they are not become so fucking stupid.
Yang namanya mahasiswa telanjur dianggap cendekia. Keistimewaan mereka diduga berada pada kekuatan nalar dan kecerdasan intelektual. Sementara warga republik lain kembang kempis menanggung krisis ekonomi, mereka menikmati kemewahan bertahun-tahun mengolah ilmu di tempat terhormat yang tertutup bagi mayoritas warga negara seusia.

NB: I really think Indonesia has to make anti-discrimination law, maybe It will be rubber law like subversive law, but with diversity and rage like Indonesia maybe the law is the second best solution.

God Bless Indonesia

No comments: